Whether placed in the corner or center of your courtyard, a water fountain is a great way to add a relaxing and peaceful accent to your patio. They are easy to set up and quick to install.
All the fountains on our store come complete with a fountain pump and cord. We have different designs that have contemporary and traditional designs. Below are some of the Patio Fountain tips and ideas that can help you choose a water fountain that suits your yard.
Factors to Consider When Buying Patio Fountains
Knowing what to look for when choosing a patio fountain can bring all the difference.
The Size Of The Fountain
When choosing a water fountain, size should be one of the main considerations. Not all patios are spacious enough to accommodate a large elaborate water fountain. Conversely, choosing a fountain that is tiny for the available space will weaken its impact. Homeowners with relatively smaller patios should settle for a small fountain that doesn’t steal the view of other crucial components in the patio.
Note: when shopping for a water fountain, always go for the one that complements the surrounding landscape without taking all the attention. Fortunately for you, here at Life on Plum, we have a large variety of water fountains of different sizes.
The Design And Type Of Fountain
Having known the ideal size of the fountain that you need, the next factor to consider is the type and design of the fountain that suits your patio. There are different types of patio fountains. However, the main ones include:
These kinds of fountains have several levels of water trickling from them. Two or three tier fountains are the most common.
Wall fountains can physically lean or hang on a wall. They are great for people with relatively smaller patios as they save valuable shape.
Most of these fountains come with standard animals such as fish, sea horses, frogs, and lions.
Urn, Vase, and bowl
These types of fountains feature a vase or urn situated inside the bowl. They are ideal for outdoor settings such as patio or garden.
This type of fountain is relatively smaller and should be placed in smaller patios.
Beyond these common options, you can also find another patio fountain in other designs and shapes. For instance, there is a Campania International Berwind Planter, which has a unique design. Also, there are tiered fountains, works best in patios that are a lot more spacious.
Weather is one of the biggest threats to an outdoor fountain. Depending on the climate of the area you are in, some material can survive for centuries without deteriorating while others may last for less than a decade. If you're looking for a lasting solution, you should look into the different popular construction materials used to build different fountains and the area they are best suited for before making the purchase decision.
- Concrete- it’s not a better option for shoppers who want a long-lasting outdoor fountains. It will chip and crack over time, especially in thawing and freezing climate. Moreover, it is cheap.
- Limestone-this is an opaque natural rock. Although limestone was used to make Great Pyramids in the Middle-East and Egypt, it erodes after some time.
- Bronze-Bronze will patina after some time, meaning that it will discolor. Water fountains made of bronze can last for an indefinite period.
- Resin-Resin is strong, lightweight, and will withstand most of the weather. Fountains made of resin will last longer than those made of concrete. However, it won’t last longer than a fountain made of natural stone.
- Granite-If you need a long-lasting outdoor fountain that can last hundreds of years or generation, then granite is the ideal material for you. It can be cleaned easily using acid, and will not crack during the winter or under freezing temperature. Also, it won’t wear away because of elementary damage.
- Cast stone- fountains made of cast stones are available in different varieties. They offer reasonable quality and durability that can last for several decades or generations.
- Copper- it is the most common type of fountain material and is known for its versatility and elegance.
- Fiberglass- Fiberglass fountains can be finished to resemble a variety of materials such as copper and lead.
- Stainless Steel- Stainless steel is a modern material that makes sleek and natural looking fountain. While histrionic in presence, fountains made of stainless steel are also long lasting and durable.
- Bamboo- Bamboo is a natural construction material that is durable and versatile. It adds exotic effect to any patio or design.
Style Of Water Flow
This is another important factor to consider when choosing an outdoor fountain. A fountain can flow in three ways: it can jet out slowly while bubbling; it can shoot out like a spray in the air, or flow steadily like a river stream or waterfall. Each of this style of flow comes with various benefits and different settings.
Fountains that spray water in the air are ideal and attractive for spacious patios that require a grand feature. They might not be ideal for relatively smaller patios as the water may spill on items and cause rot and mold. Free flowing fountains require a large amount of water.
Safety and Maintenance
Fountains require regular maintenance to keep running properly. However, the amount of maintenance is dependent on the type and size of fountain. For instance, a fountain made out of cast stone and concrete require plumbing maintenance, as well protection from the cold weather during cold maintenance. Fountains with pressurized sprays may always require advanced plumbing installations and innovative fountain pumps.
Safety factor should also be considered especially for owners who are planning to install a fountain in an area with pets and kids. If this is the case, you need to choose a sturdy fountain that has firm anchors to prevent them from tumbling over.
Finding the Right Patio Fountain
Now that you’ve learned about the factors to consider when buying patio fountains, we can now help you figure out which fountain is best for your unique needs. You can hover your mouse to the cast stone planters.
You can take a look at our wide variety and selection of patio fountains
on Life on Plum.